Health information coding is the transformation of verbal descriptions of diseases, injuries, and procedures into alphanumeric designations. Currently, reimbursement of hospital and physical claims for patients depends entirely on the assignment of codes. Coding is one of the fastest growing professions in the United States. Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Demonstrate the professional work habits expected in the medical coding profession including confidentiality and ethical practices;
- Apply medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and disease process knowledge to seek the appropriate code;
- Complete insurance forms (HCFA) using ICD-10-CM, CPT and HCPCS codes;
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate orally and in writing;
- Abstract code data from medical records; and
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills.