Information for International Students

This information is provided to help you get to FVCC with appropriate immigration status in compliance with the U.S. Department of State (DOS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations.

Obtaining a Student Visa

U.S. government regulations require you to attend the school that issues the visa certificate you use to make an initial entrance to the United States in F-1 status. Since you plan to enroll at FVCC, please use our Form I-20. It may be very difficult to transfer to FVCC if you enter the country using documents issued by another school unless you have attended the other school full time for at least one academic session.

10 Steps: How to Apply for an Initial F-1 Entry Visa if You are Outside the U.S.

You will require the I-20 form from FVCC at the time of your appointment. Do not make an appointment until you have received the I-20 or are sure that you will have the I-20 in time for the appointment. While the U.S. consulate will not issue the student entry visa until 120 days before the reporting date on the I-20, you should apply for your visa as soon as possible. Check the following websites for more information on visa appointments.

Find the U.S. consulate at which you will apply at and carefully read its instructions for applying for a visa. Application procedures and requirements vary, so be sure to pay attention to the specifics for the consulate at which you apply. Make a list of documentation required for the interview, and make all fee payments as instructed on the consulate’s website.

Your I-20 indicates that we have created a record for you in SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) a national database for international students and scholars. Your unique assigned SEVIS ID number is in the upper right corner of the first page. Check to see that all information is correct and that your expected completion date is in the future.

If you have informed us that your dependents (husband, wife, or children under the age of 21) will come with you to the U.S., each of them will receive their own “dependent” I-20 needed for applying for their F-2 visas and entering the U.S. in F-2 status. If your family name is different from your dependents, be prepared to show documents that prove your relationship.

When you apply for a visa or enter the U.S., your passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future. Some countries are exempt from this requirement and have their passports automatically extended for 6 months which means that you can use your passport up until the written expiration date. This rule applies to subsequent entries to the U.S. while traveling as a student.

Go to SEVP Fee Processing and follow the instructions. You will need the I-20 available because the SEVIS number is required. Print copies of the receipt–you will need one with you for the visa interview and you should keep one for your own records. You can only access the receipt at the time of payment so be sure your printer is working before paying the fee.

If you have been a student in the U.S. and are transferring schools or beginning a program at a new level of study, it is possible you may not have to pay the SEVIS fee. Refer to information posted at SEVIS website.

Everyone applying for a non-immigrant visa must complete a DS-160 form. Be sure to print and keep the DS-160 barcode page.

Procedures may vary from country to country, and even post to post within the same country. Note that application and issuance fees are based on reciprocity and generally reflect your country’s policies in granting visa privileges to visiting U.S. students.

Check Nonimmigrant Visa Photograph Requirements for details.

You will be applying for an F-1 student visa, a non-immigrant classification. According to U.S. immigration law, “Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a non-immigrant status.” This means you need to establish that you have no intention of staying in the U.S. permanently, but are coming here for a temporary purpose, i.e. to pursue your educational objective. While the consular officers are aware that it may be difficult for students to demonstrate strong professional and economic ties to their home countries, you should still bear this in mind as you prepare for your interview.

In preparation for your interview, please read the following:

  • Applying for a Student or Exchange Visitor Visa Published by Education USA, a division of the U.S. Department of State
  • Ten Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa published by NAFSA: Association of International Educators, in consultation with the U.S. State Department. Although published in 1997, these general points provide good guidance and still are relevant today.
  1. A passport valid for at least six months
  2. Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11)
  3. School admission letter
  4. Completed DS-160 visa application barcode page.
  5. A photograph in the prescribed format (see Step 7)
  6. A receipt for the visa application fee
  7. A receipt for the SEVIS fee. If you have not received an official receipt in the mail showing payment and you paid the fee electronically, the consulate will accept the temporary receipt you printed from your computer. If you do not have a receipt, the consulate may be able to see your payment electronically if your fee payment was processed at least 3 business days before your interview.
  8. Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study.
  9. Any information that demonstrates your intention to return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.

Check your passport to be sure you obtained an F-1 visa, and that any dependents obtained an F-2 visa. Also, be certain that the I-20 was returned to you, as you must have the original with you when you arrive in the United States. Sometimes the document is returned to you in a sealed envelope, which must be presented to the immigration inspector when you arrive.

Canadian Citizens

In terms of immigration regulations, the only difference between Canadians and other international students coming to the United States is that Canadian citizens are not required to apply for an entry visa at a U.S. consulate.

Canadians citizens are subject to the same regulations regarding employment in the United States, requirement for full-time study and all other provisions for maintaining status. Other than applying for a visa, it is important that you read about and abide by all other provisions relating to F-1 status. It is especially important for Canadian students to be vigilant about entering the United States in proper student status, as immigration inspectors are accustomed to admitting Canadian citizens as visitors.

To enter the U.S. in F-1 student status, Canadians must present the items listed below to the immigration inspector:

  • Form I-20 from FVCC
  • Valid passport
  • Supporting financial documents submitted to obtain the Form I-20
  • Proof of SEVIS Fee payment. To pay the SEVIS fee, visit and follow the instructions. Be sure to make a copy of the receipt for your own records.

Students no longer are issued an I-94 Admission/ Departure card at the port of entry, but need to access and print the card themselves.

If You Are Already in the U.S.

Currently in a status other than F-1

Students who do not plan to leave the U.S. before beginning studies at FVCC, and are currently in an immigration status other than F-1 are required to change status by application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
In general, non-immigrants who are maintaining lawful status may apply for a change of status to F-1. You should review the detailed information in Procedure to Change to F-1 Student Status and consult Aidan Semanco ( for more information or if you have questions or concerns or to review your application before submitting it to USCIS.

Currently in F-1 Status at Another Institution and Transferring to FVCC

Students enrolled in another U.S. school under F-1 immigration status who are planning to enroll at FVCC must complete a process in which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is notified of this change. The transfer procedure begins with your current school “releasing” your SEVIS record to FVCC and qualifying for a FVCC I-20, and is not complete until you report to FVCC within 15 days of the program start date on your I-20. The first step is to get FVCC’s I-20 in a timely manner. Please refer to our F-1 transfer procedures for exact details.

Continuing Students in F-1 Status at FVCC

If you are completing one program at FVCC and are planning to pursue another degree or program at FVCC, DHS must be notified. FVCC needs to issue you a new I-20 for the new program within 60 days of your completion date on your current I-20 or within 60 days of completion of your program, whichever is earlier. Contact Gerda Reeb ( about qualifying for and obtaining a new I-20.

If You Will Be Accompanied By Dependents

If your dependents – spouse or unmarried children under 21 years of age – will accompany you to the U.S. or join you shortly after your arrival, you will need to provide FVCC with additional documentation showing your sufficient funding to meet your dependents’ expenses and copies of their passport ID pages. An I-20 will then be issued for each of your dependents which they will use to apply for the F-2 visa. You may request an I-20 for your dependents at any time during your stay at FVCC.

Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa Alternative

Another visa classification for full-time study is the J-1 Exchange Visitor status. J-1 students come to the U.S. under a contract agreement that is formally known as the Exchange Visitor Program. Students who are personally financing their studies are not eligible for J-1 status. Funding for J-1 students usually is from a government or international organization. FVCC funding may also qualify under exceptional circumstances. Please refer to and read carefully the section on Immigration Status in the Student Immigration Definitions document for a summary of some of the differences between F-1 and J-1 immigration status so that you can make an informed choice.