Tax Forms will be mailed out by January 31st.
This information is a guide for students and is not intended to provide professional tax advice. If you have questions or need further assistance, please contact your tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at https://www.irs.gov/.
What is Form 1098-T?
Form 1098-T is used by eligible educational institutions to report required student information to the IRS. The 1098-T form that you received is for your use in preparing your federal income tax return. Please note that your 1098-T form may not provide all of the information you need to determine eligibility for tax credits and deductions. Eligibility for any tax benefit depends upon your individual facts and circumstances and the College cannot provide you with any tax advice.
Who Qualifies to Receive Form 1098-T?
Students who paid their tuition bills out-of-pocket and were not covered by financial aid will receive a 1098-T. Receiving the form does not guarantee you a tax deduction. It is solely meant to provide you with information so that you can determine if you qualify for the credit.
Why Didn't I Receive Form 1098-T?
- Students whose charges were covered entirely by financial aid or scholarships do not qualify to receive Form 1098-T.
- If you are an International student who is not a U.S. resident for tax purposes.
- Students classified as non-resident aliens.
- You also do not receive Form 1098-T if you only took non-credit courses.
- If the College is missing your social security number in our records we are unable to file a 1098-T. See below on how to update this information with FVCC.
Why Do I Need to Provide a Valid Social Security Number or Individual Tax Identification Number?
- If you are not a US resident and will not be filing taxes with the IRS, you may disregard this notice.
- In order to comply with IRS regulations, the college must have your correct identifying number to file certain information to the IRS and to furnish a Form 1098-T to you.
- PLEASE COMPLETE Form W-9 S to update your information on file with FVCC
- Due to the sensitive nature of this information request, please hand deliver, mail, or fax the completed form to the following address:
FVCC Business Office
777 Grandview Dr
Kalispell, MT 59901
Fax: (406) 756-3815
In order to protect your personally identifiable information, email replies will not be accepted.
Understanding Your 1098-T:
Box 1: Amounts Paid for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses
Shows the payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses during the noted calendar year. The total payments reported is limited to the total amount of Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE) billed during the calendar year.
- Resident and Non-Resident Tuition
- Mandatory Fees
- Course or Program Fees
- Tuition for non-credit courses
- Housing Payments
- Late Payment Fees
- Study Abroad Fees for Room, Board, and Travel Expenses
- Graduation Fees
- Course Related Books and Equipment
- Student Health Fees
Box 4: Adjustments Made for a Prior Year
Shows any adjustments made for any prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year’s 1098-T Form.
Box 5: Scholarships or Grants
Shows the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the FVCC Financial Aid Office during the calendar year. Box 5 does not include:
- Tuition waivers
- Student loans, for example subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS, or alternative loans.
- Scholarships, grants, reimbursements or other types of sponsorships not administered or processed by the FVCC Financial Aid Office
The amount reported in box 5 may reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fee deduction or education credit that you are entitled to.
Box 6: Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year
Shows any adjustments to grants and scholarships reported on a prior year Form 1098-T box 5. The amount in Box 6 may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit you may claim for the prior year.
Can I Access My 1098-T Online?
Yes, you can access your 1098-T by following these steps below:
- Go to https://heartland.ecsi.net/index.main.html#/access/lookup
- Click on "I need my 1098-T Tuition tax statement"
- On the next page, begin typing "Flathead" and select "Flathead Valley Community College" when it pops up and hit Submit
- Enter personal information as directed to access your 1098-T data
If you cannot access your 1098-T online, please call ECSI Customer Service at 866-428-1098.
Other Useful Links
Contact Information: email@example.com