Student Employment

Part-time work for students is an important component of the Flathead Valley Community College experience. The work student employees perform provides him/her with financial assistance and the opportunity to gain valuable work experience.

Below you will find useful information for all student employees at Flathead Valley Community College.

A student employee is a part-time employee who must be currently enrolled at Flathead Valley Community College. Student employees are not eligible to receive benefits such as vacation pay or sick leave.

“Student employment” is an employee classification, like temporary, full- or part-time status.

“Work study” and “non-work study” indicates the funding source that pays the wages of student employees.

Student who would like to obtain part-time employment, follow these steps:

  1. Find a job and apply at FVCC Job Openings
    *Click a student job title to review the job description and minimum requirements
    *Click the Apply for this Position button located at the bottom of the posting, and then follow the steps to complete and submit the online application
  2. If a student is selected to interview, the supervisor will contact him/her. Learn about preparing for an interview.
  3. If a student is selected for a job, the supervisor will call him/her to make the job offer.
  4. Human Resources will send the newly hired student an electronic invitation to complete the online onboarding process.
  5. On or before the first day of work, the student must certify the I-9 form by presenting his/her “acceptable documents” (original, unexpired documentations) to Human Resources to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States before they are eligible to work.
  6. If the student is eligible for a Work Study award, he/she may not work until completing the onboarding process, I-9 certification AND their Work Study Contract is signed by both the student and supervisor, and the agreement is returned to Financial Aid.

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federally subsidized program designed to promote part-time employment of students to help them avoid excessive debt while in college. By working, students gain experience, develop new skills, and earn money to meet their educational and living expenses.

  • FWS is awarded as part of a student’s financial aid package.
  • Awards are based on financial need and available funding.
  • Any changes in a student’s financial aid package may result in a decrease in FWS funding.
  • FWS Award does not guarantee on-campus employment.

Students must participate in the recruitment process by applying to current on-campus job opportunities and/or select College community service FWS off-campus tutor positions (America Reads).

FWS Eligibility

FWS is available to students who demonstrate financial need. To be considered for FWS employment eligibility, a student will need to complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Inquiries regarding FAFSA and your financial aid package should be directed to Financial Aid Office.

  • Students must be enrolled and maintain at least half-time enrollment (6 credits)
  • Audited classes are not considered degree-granting credits and do not count toward the credit hour requirement.
  • Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress as per FVCC college guidelines.

Student Employment Non-Work Study Federal Work Study
Overview of Program Part-time, on-campus employment opportunities for students regardless of financial need. Students do not need to fill out the FAFSA to apply for positions Offered to students who demonstrate financial need as determined for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Financial Aid Requirements Financial Aid Eligibility does not apply. No FAFSA is required to work Students are awarded FWS as part of their Financial Aid package. Students must fill out the FAFSA annually and have financial need as determined by the Department of Education
Eligibility Students must be enrolled as a current FVCC student Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits

Need to register for Paycor?

Here are the –Registration Instructions

Learn how to record time work here –Time and Attendance Instructions

*Student Employees are paid on a 2-week delay, e.g.:  Hours worked from September 1-15 will be paid on September 30th and hours worked from September 16-31 will be paid on October 15.

Contact Us

For more information on student employment at Flathead Valley Community College, contact the Student Employment Coordinator: