If you want to make a difference in people’s lives, consider a career in social work.
Social work is a vast field comprised of interdisciplinary specialists and generalists who work together to serve the basic needs of people. Social work professionals focus on prevention and remediation of problems while maintaining a commitment to improving the overall quality of life of service populations.
FVCC’s Pre-Social Work transfer program articulates with the University of Montana-Missoula’s Bachelor of Social Work program. Graduates of FVCC’s program are well prepared for upper-division coursework at UM.
- Students interested in earning a Bachelor of Social Work at the University of Montana, Missoula can complete nearly 80 lower-division credits at FVCC, thanks to a transfer articulation agreement between the two schools.
- Upon completing a bachelor’s degree in social work, graduates may find employment in mental health centers, welfare agencies, employment services, rehabilitation, parole, aftercare, outreach, and various public and private social service agencies.
Attributes of Successful Social Work Professionals
- Strong writing, oral communication, listening and observation skills
- Ability to solve problems and manage conflicts with others
- Well organized and detail-oriented
- Empathetic and patient