Welding and Fabrication Technology
The Welding and Fabrication Technology curriculum provides students training and experience in welding and fabrication as it pertains to assembly, manufacturing, energy, and structural construction.The program provides education and training in common cutting and welding processes; CNC plasma cutting; OXYFUEL, SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, and FCAW processes; structural and pipe and plate welding; blueprint reading; communications; and quantitative problem solving.Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to
Describe and demonstrate safe use of each type of welding equipment;
Select and demonstrate various joining processes;
Estimate type, quantity, cost, and weight of a welded fabrication from blueprint information;
Demonstrate proper setup, adjustment, and use of typical cutting and welding equipment;
Demonstrate proficiency in OXYFUEL, SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW processes;
Visually inspect and document proper applications of welding processes;
Demonstrate techniques and devices for minimizing part distortion during welding;
Apply advanced fabrication techniques including design, layout, fixturing and production welding that is commonly found throughout fabrication shops; and
Develop and schedule the sequence to complete a fabrication project from start to finish including blueprints, estimating, quality control, and any coating requirements.
First Year- Fall Semester
First Semester Total: 14
Second Semester Total: 18
CAS Total Credits: 32
R Indicates Related Instruction requirement.
*Indicates prerequisite and/or corequisite needed.Check course description.
- Proof of a score of 55 (Level 1) or higher in Intro/Beginning Algebra on the FVCC math Placement OR an officialtranscript proving "C-" or better in M065, its equivalent, or higher math course. For more information visit www.fvcc.edu/student/placement-.
- After completing the program, students should be qualified for the following certifications:
- AWS D 1.1 in Limited Thickness Certification
- AWS D 1.1 in Unlimited Thickness Certification
- AWS D 1.1 Pipe Certification
- Fees for this program are higher than average. Please see the program director for more details.
Opportunities after Graduation
Career opportunitiesfor welding techniciansexist in fabrication and manufacturing, steel construction, mining, energy, petroleum, bridge construction and other production areas.
For more information about this program, contact the advisor.