Culinary Arts and Catering, AAS
The Culinary Arts and Catering program provides students with entry-level skills in the culinary arts industry. Students receive instruction in cooking and baking, as well as theoretical knowledge that underlines competency in the field. Additional training involves table services, menus, cost controls, storeroom, and stewarding. Upon completion of this program, students will be able to
- Effectively practice basic and advanced technical skills in food preparation and service;
- Explain and apply sanitation guidelines related to food handling;
- Understand usage, storage, nutrition, and identification of product;
- Define and describe classic cooking terminology and methods;
- Gain experience in the proper use and maintenance of professional culinary equipment;
- Employ station organization and line management;
- Demonstrate familiarity with the production, layout, and workflow of professional kitchens and bakeshops;
- Appreciate the history, evolution, and international diversity of culinary arts;
- Illustrate skill in completing various components of front-of-house operations, particularly those related to food and beverage service and customer relations;
- Implement human resource management strategies to increase motivation and productivity;
- Use basic accounting procedures for creating a financial plan or budget, cost controls, and forecasting or projecting sales; and
- Demonstrate a sense of professionalism and the management skills necessary for successfully operating within a food service facility.
- Students must apply for select admission to this program. Applications are available online at www.fvcc.edu/culinary.
- The priority application deadline is June 17.However, applications will be accepted until August 5, if space is available.
- Applications can be submittedto the Admissions and Registration Office in Blake Hall, room 111 or mailed to
Culinary Arts Advisor, Student Support Center Flathead Valley Community College 777 Grandview Drive, Kalispell, MT 59901
- Fees for this program are higher than average. Please see the advisor for more details.
- Students must earn a "C-" or higher in every course in order to graduate from this program.
- Graduates will work in restaurants, resorts, schools, hotels, and health care facilities. The Flathead Valley offers many job opportunities in the culinary industry.
|Academic Advisor||Program Advisor|
|Mandee Johnson||Chef Manda Hudak|
|LRC 129||AT 158|
|(406) 756-3860||(406) 756-3932|