This certificate program is designed to provide a solid foundation in theory, design, and function of firearms. This certificate will prepare the student for an entry-level position in the firearms industry or provide a building block toward owning a business as a gunsmith. This program contains both lecture and significant hands-on training designed to instill an understanding of the design and function of today’s firearms.
Practical application of knowledge in a safe and professional manner is stressed. Emphasis is placed upon the completion of several gunsmith projects from blueprints and schematics using a combination of both hand and machine tools. The student will acquire the basic knowledge to get started customizing guns. This program provides a clear understanding of firearms function, enabling graduates to assist with design or tolerance issues in a manufacturing environment. Students who complete the program leave with a collection of specialty tools for the repair or customization of firearms.
Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Use precision measuring tools such as Micrometers, calipers, indicators and various specialized gauges as they apply to firearms;
- Operate manual lathe and vertical milling machines, including common work holding set-ups to perform gunsmithing services or custom work;
- Prepare metal to a desired finished state;
- Diagnose and troubleshoot a variety of firearms along with the knowledge base of how to correct malfunctions, restoring the firearm to safe and reliable condition;
- Recognize and understand the operation of various firearms systems; and
- Understand firearms accuracy and the many variables that affect it.