This certificate program is designed to provide a solid foundation in theory, design, and function of firearms. This certificate will prepare the student for an entry-level position in the firearms industry or provide a building block toward owning a business as a gunsmith. This program contains both lecture and significant hands-on training designed to instill an understanding of the design and function of today’s firearms. Practical application of knowledge in a safe and professional manner is stressed. Emphasis is placed upon the completion of several gunsmith projects from blueprints and schematics using a combination of both hand and machine tools. The student will acquire the basic knowledge to get started customizing guns. This program provides a clear understanding of firearms function, enabling graduates to assist with design or tolerance issues in a manufacturing environment. Students who complete the program leave with a collection of specialty tools for the repair or customization of firearms. Upon completion of this program, students will:
- Use precision measuring tools such as micrometers, calipers, indicators and various specialized gauges as they apply to firearms;
- Operate manual lathe machines, including common work holding set-ups to perform gunsmithing services or custom work;
- Prepare metal to a desired finished state;
- Diagnose and troubleshoot a variety of firearms along with the knowledge base of how to correct malfunctions, restoring the firearm to safe and reliable condition;
- Recognize and understand the operation of various firearms systems; and
- Understand firearms accuracy and the many variables that affect it.
Want to learn more about our Firearms certificate program?
Provide us with information to contact you and discuss the program further.