FVCC’s longstanding semester in Venice is offered each spring and operates from the premises of the Istituto Venezia in the heart of the city. This program provides an enriching opportunity to participate in an intensive studio and art history experience by immersing participants in the art and culture of Italy taught in English. Students study Italian language in immersion courses at the Istituto Venezia, a FVCC partner school for more than a decade.
While in Venice, students live in triple occupancy, fully furnished apartments equipped with kitchens.
During the eight-week long program, students study in the dreamy light and sumptuous landscapes of Italy: a life-changing experience. In Italy, dubbed the world’s “living art gallery,” the ancient and modern worlds exist side by side. During the final 2 weeks of the program, students tour parts of Italy by private coach. History and culture abound in Italy – with Etruscan tombs, Greek temples, Roman ruins, and statue-filled Baroque fountains. Three millennia of history, culture and cuisine seduce just about everyone who visits. Nowhere else on earth does just living seem so extraordinary.
March 18 to May 13, 2020
Approximate Program Cost :
$5,200 (excludes flights, meals, tuition/fees for 10 credits)
Approximate cost includes:
- Accommodations in Venice (fully furnished, triple occupancy apartments with kitchens) and on tour (shared hotel rooms).
- Various cultural programs at the Istituto Venezia.
- A multi-day tour of various sites in Italy.
- Entrance fees to museums, churches, and galleries during class excursions.
- Transport in an around Venice and on tour.
Scholarships: Up to 10 scholarships of up to $ 2,500 will be made available to eligible students. Scholarships are merit and/or need based.
Curriculum: 10 credits
- ARTZ 105 F: Visual Language Drawing (3 credits) with Susan Guthrie
- ARTH 201 FGH: Art of World Civilizations II. (3 credits) with Susan Guthrie
- ITLN 101 GH: Elementary Italian I. (4 credits) delivered by Istituto Venezia staff
- The program requires a minimum of 10 students and is limited to a maximum of 15 students.
- Students must be 18 or older and have a GPA (FVCC or HS) of 2.5 or higher to apply.
- Prior knowledge of Italian is not necessary to participate in this program.
Study Abroad applications and $1000 deposit due in the FVCC Business Office.