FVCC’s Ocean Chemistry Program operates from the premises of the UC Berkeley Research Stations on the South Pacific Islands of Mo’orea and Tetiaroa. This course will give students a global perspective on the chemistry of natural waters.
2 weeks in late May and early June. This study abroad program is offered every even year.
Approximate Program Cost:
$5,300 (excludes tuition/fees for 4 credits and meal costs on travel days)
Approximate cost includes:
- Airfare from Kalispell to Papeete, Tahiti (French Polynesia)
- Room and board in the research station dorms
- All ground/water transportation
- Select cultural programming
Curriculum: 4 credits
- Spring semester: CHMY 291 – Chemical Oceanography of Tropical Marine Waters, 1 credit, March 16 – May 14. (delivered by FVCC faculty on FVCC campus)
- Summer semester: CHMY 290 – Undergraduate Research: Chemical Oceanography, 3 credits. (delivered by FVCC faculty in Mo’orea/ Tetiaroa)
- Students must complete CHMY 121 (Introduction to General Chemistry) with a C or higher.
- The program requires a minimum of 10 students and is limited to a maximum of 14 students.
- Students must be 18 or older and have a GPA (FVCC or HS) of 2.5 or higher to apply.
- Due to the extensive time spent snorkeling and on the water during this trip, all program participants will be required to pass a swim test administered at the Summit pool in Kalispell.
- Eligibility will be determined on a first come first serve basis after the receipt of the initial $ 1,000 deposit (by December 2, 2019) and completion of interview process.
- Program specific scholarships will be made available to all eligible current FVCC student applicants in early spring semester.
- Financial Aid and FVCC Honors Program scholarship apply to this program.
For more information, contact Gerda Reeb at (406) 756-3889 or firstname.lastname@example.org.