At Flathead Valley Community College we offer the Running Start program to high school students who are 16 years or older and are at junior or senior status.
FVCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation in the educational programs and activities which it offers.
Suggested Running Start Timeline
We suggest starting this checklist at least one month prior to FVCC registration.
Step 1: Apply to FVCC
- Complete an Online Application for Admission
*Homeschool students must submit a high school transcript and proof of two MMR immunizations if taking 6 or more credits
Step 2: Take Placement Tests
- Your application for admissions must be submitted prior to taking placement tests.
- Log into your student portal and select Admissions Status. Then select Placement for detailed information about testing requirements and/or to sign up for the online Writing and Reading Placement.
- If you have taken the ACT test you may not be required to take the placement test. Visit the Placement Testing page to learn more.
- You are highly encouraged to prepare. Math Practice tests can be found at www.edready.org
Step 3: Meet with an Advisor
- After completing your placement test, call FVCC’s Student Support Center at (406) 756-3880 to arrange a time to meet with a FVCC advisor for final approval of course schedule and signature on registration form.
Step 4: Register for Classes
- Complete the Running Start Registration Form.
- The Running Start Registration Form must be signed by your high school counselor, parent or guardian, FVCC representative, and yourself.
- Be sure to seek advice from your high school counselor regarding course applicability and credit equivalency.
Complete an Information Release Authorization form and return it to the Admissions Office.