At Flathead Valley Community College we offer the Running Start program to high school students who are 16 years or older and are at junior or senior status.
FVCC does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, gender, or sexual orientation in the educational programs and activities which it offers.
Suggested Running Start Timeline
We suggest starting this checklist at least one month prior to FVCC registration.
Step 1: Apply to FVCC
- Complete an Online Application for Admission
*Homeschool students must submit a high school transcript and proof of two MMR immunizations if taking 6 or more credits
Step 2: Take Placement Tests
- Your application for admissions must be submitted prior to taking placement tests.
- All Running Start students are required to take the Reading and Writing placement tests available online. You will find instructions of how to access those tests here: (Running Start – Placement Test) If you have taken the ACT test you may not be required to take the placement test. For more information, visit the Placement Testing page to learn more.
- Running Start students interested in taking a Math or Chemistry class, must also take the Math and/or Chemistry placement tests.
Step 3: Meet with an Advisor
- After completing your placement tests, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to meet with a FVCC Running Start Advisor for final approval of course schedule and signature on registration form.
Step 4: Register for Classes
- Complete the Running Start Registration Form.
- The Running Start Registration Form must be signed by your high school counselor, parent or guardian, FVCC representative, and yourself.
- Be sure to seek advice from your high school counselor regarding course applicability and credit equivalency.
Complete an Information Release Authorization form and return it to the Admissions Office.