The Flathead Valley Community College (FVCC) Veterans’ Association is calling for submissions of an artist rendering for a “Reflections Monument” on the FVCC campus.
The intent for the monument is to honor all veterans – past, present and future service members. The monument will symbolize a statement of support to all Veteran service members, their families and the community. The Flathead Valley has the highest concentration of Veterans in the state of Montana. Approximately five percent of FVCC students are Veterans.
With the help and support of the community, FVCC staff and faculty, and continuous support from and a collaboration with other Veteran organizations, including the Flathead Marines and Vietnam Veterans Association, the FVCC Veterans’ Association will construct a monument that will represent all service members with honor and respect.
Details of the “Reflections Monument” Contest
Contest objective: To solicit conceptual artist renderings for a proposed monument that meets the criteria below. Monument will be built at a later date.
Theme: Reflections (past, present, & future)
Prize: $500 cash to winning artist
Selection process: By committee
Location: Grandview Field on FVCC campus
Contest Dates: April 1, 2017 – Sept 1, 2017
Eligible participants: Contest is open to all FVCC faculty, staff, students, alumni, community veterans and immediate family members (spouses and kids).
- Conceptual monuments should be able to fit within a 5 feet by 5 feet area as a general guideline.
- Submission must be a proper rendering of US, POW/MIA flags or flag pole.
- Monument must be able to be illuminated at night and be able to withstand year-round elements.
- Concept must be nonpartisan.
- Should include all 5 military branches (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard).
- Submissions must be positive. The monument is to celebrate and support the past, present, and future Veterans of FVCC.
- Must not include guns or firearms.
- Not intended to be a memorial.
Artist Submission Criteria
- Artists must submit a front, side, and back view of proposed monument. Drawing, rendering, or photographs of model must be submitted on 11″ x 17″ paper.
- Artist must submit a short explanation of design or how it represents the theme “Reflections Monument.”
- Artist must submit recommendation of monument construction materials.
Questions and Submissions
Please direct any questions to Samantha Riley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 1, 2017: Contest opens.
- September 1, 2017: Contest submission deadline.
- November 10, 2017: Winner will be publicly announced.
Veterans’ Monument Design Selection Process
- All submissions received by September 1, 2017, will be reviewed for adherence to submission criteria. A committee comprised FVCC faculty and staff and FVCC Veterans’ Association members and officers will vote on the top designs.
- On or by October 15, the top selection of artists will meet with the committee to review the estimated costs and provide a better understanding of the artist’s vision.
- The winner will be announced and $500 cash prize will be awarded on Friday, November 10, 2017, the day before Veterans Day, by the FVCC Veterans’ Association in the Veterans’ Center at FVCC.