Flathead Valley Community College provides learning labs as a free service of the Student Support Center and are designed to meet people at the point of their personal academic needs. You may use the labs by dropping in or by making appointments with the Tutoring Lab Instructors.
The FVCC Math and Science Tutoring Center, located in LRC 148 and LRC 134 is available to all students for free assistance in math and science coursework. Tutors Mike McGarvey, Roger Brewer, and Shannon Hoge are available on a drop-in basis for the following purposes:
- One-on-one tutoring in math and science concepts, problems, and homework assistance
- Computer access to online homework assignments
- Individual or group study
- Exam preparation and review
- Assistance with TI graphing calculators
- GPA Calculator
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The FVCC Reading Lab, located in LRC 147, is available to all students for free one-on-one help. The Reading Lab is headed by reading specialist Tracy Sullivan, who also teaches IDS120-Academic Communication Skills. Students can make an appointment with Tracy with specific reading issues such as:
- Vocabulary strengthening
- Strategies for developing meaning from college texts
- Note-taking strategies
- Reading accuracy
- Reading fluency
- Guidance in surviving reading roadblocks
The FVCC Writing Lab, located in LRC 147, is available to all students for free assistance in writing. The FVCC Writing Lab is headed by writing specialists and English teachers Jim Soular and Hannah Bissell. They provide one-on-one help to students in:
- One-on-one tutoring in English skills, e.g., grammar/punctuation
- One-on-one tutoring on research papers and essays, e.g., introductions, organization, conclusions
- Assistance with MLA, APA, Chicago, and other writing formats (handouts available)
- Word processing assistance
- PowerPoint assistance
- Computers and printers
- Internet searches
- Reference books, e.g., dictionaries, thesauri, English handbooks
- Revising, editing, and proofreading of essays in all disciplines
- Access student portal & Eagle Mail
- Connection to library databases, e.g., Montana Shared Catalog, Gale, SIRS Researcher
- Assistance with résumés and cover letters
- Scholarship letters
- Transfer letters/essays
- Set defaults on laptops
Monday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
* Lab occasionally opens or closes at hours other than those shown above.