Changes in Enrollment Status

Financial aid will be awarded based on the student’s FAFSA application. Enrollment verification will be completed after the 15th class day and financial aid awards will be adjusted based on the student’s current registration at that point in time. Any changes to enrollment after that date will not affect the value of the student’s award package, unless a student “withdraws” from a course that has not started.

Students who are withdrawing from classes after the 15th class day should review the “Eligibility” section or see our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

Financial Aid Refunds

If a student is receiving more financial aid than their direct institutional costs, they will receive a “refund” check from the school. These checks will be issued approximately one month after school starts. In some circumstances a student who is registered in late starting courses may have their refund check reduced or held until they are in attendance in the late starting courses and have passed the refund period for those courses.

Cancelled Classes

The majority of classes that get cancelled are cancelled before classes begin or during the first week of class. If an add is not processed by the end of the 15th class day, the student’s grant award and loan eligibility will be decreased.

Coursework Which Does Not Count for Financial Aid Status

Before students opt to pay for any of the following options it is imperative that they understand the consequences. Audit classes do not count toward the number of credits a student needs to complete in a semester to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

In order for a class to count for financial aid purposes, it must be numbered 100 or above with the exception of advisor approved remedial classes in English, Reading, and Math.

Only in certain circumstances can repeats be counted toward the student’s enrollment status.

New Applicants

Continuing students applying for financial aid for the first time must be meeting SAP requirements according to FVCC’s Financial Aid Policy. All earned and attempted credit hours will be counted towards maximum credits for eligibility.

For transfer students, previous and transfer coursework will also be evaluated for SAP and Maximum credits.

Students Seeking Additional Degrees/Certificates

Students who already have a previous degree have limited eligibility for financial aid, because they have already reached their maximum time frame. In extenuating circumstances students may appeal for an extension of financial aid eligibility.

The Appeal Process

Each student may file a written appeal when financial aid is denied. The appeal is reviewed by members of the Financial Aid Appeal Committee.

The committee attempts to approve or deny appeals in a fair and equitable manner, in compliance with the law and the Department of Education.

The decision of the Appeal Committee and conditions set by the committee are final unless new circumstances develop.

Declaration of Degree/Certificate

A student must declare which degree or certificate at FVCC they intend to pursue to be eligible for financial aid.

For scholarship eligibility, it is beneficial for a student to declare their major early. For scholarship opportunities, see our Scholarships page.

Reporting of Additional Aid/Overaward

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office of any additional aid or scholarships not awarded by FVCC.
Failure to do so may result in the cancellation or reduction of aid.

If the college discovers false or conflicting information in the student’s application, the Financial Aid Office is required to correct the conflicting information which could result in a lower award amount, and an overpayment. Failure to repay these funds will result in a “hold” on the academic transcript and collection by the state of Montana.