How do I apply?

The first step to applying for Financial Aid is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Is my financial aid award ever adjusted?

Yes! We are required to modify your Financial Aid at any time during the award year if one of the following situations occurs:

  • You do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • You change your grade status from freshman to sophomore, program of study, or credits you are currently attempting.
  • You receive additional monies from sources not listed on your Financial Aid Award letter such as private scholarships, vocational rehabilitation assistance, veteran benefits, tuition waivers, employee tuition assistance, etc.
  • You previously submitted inaccurate, incomplete or conflicting information.

When your Financial Aid Award is revised, you are sent a revised award letter. Therefore, always read your most recent award letter to confirm your Financial Aid Award for the academic year.

Do I have to pay my bill if I am eligible for financial aid?

All accounts are due in full unless these accounts are paid in full by financial aid and/or scholarships.

FVCC’s Payment Plan is available to assist you with paying your bill by offering a monthly payment plan. Don’t forget to check the refund dates for dropping courses. For more information, contact Business Services.

How do I purchase my books?

If your Financial Aid Award is greater than your bill for tuition and fees, you may be allowed to charge your books during the first two weeks of the semester providing it does not exceed the amount of the aid refund.

To purchase your books, complete a textbook reservation in the campus bookstore located in Blake Hall/Student Center Administration Building Room BH/SCA 164.

When does my financial aid pay my bill?

Financial aid awards are generally paid after the drop/add period.
Refund Checks

  • You will be mailed a refund check approximately one month after the semester begins.
  • Refund checks cannot be picked up in person.

What happens if I withdraw from FVCC?

You are encouraged to meet with your professors and academic advisors, utilize tutorial services, and speak with the Financial Aid Staff before withdrawing from FVCC. This is important because your withdrawal may affect your eligibility for financial aid and could result in you having to repay all or a portion of your financial aid award to FVCC or the Department of Education.

If you officially or unofficially withdraw (stop attending) prior to completing 60% of the term, the aid you received will be recalculated based on the Return of Title IV Funds formula.

The student’s withdrawal date, in calendar days, is used to determine the percentage of the semester that the student completed. This percentage is used to determine the “earned” aid that a student is eligible to retain. The student will be responsible for any “unearned” aid that must be returned. Examples of this calculation can be provided by the financial aid office.

Do I need good grades to get financial aid?

Yes! We are required to confirm that you are passing all of your courses and progressing toward your program of study at FVCC. This is called Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, you risk losing your Financial Aid Award.

  • You must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and
  • Complete at least 67% of your attempted hours to remain in good standing.

What is FVCC’s current loan default rate?

FVCC’s current cohort loan default rate for FY 2018 is 11.2%. The FY 2018 national cohort default rate is 7.3%. To learn more about cohort default rates for colleges, click here.

Is federal student aid available for study abroad?

Yes. Students enrolled in a program of study abroad approved for credit by FVCC may be considered enrollment at FVCC for the purpose of applying for assistance under Title IV.

The Financial Aid Director will review requests for funding study abroad coursework. Any adjustments to a student’s award will be based upon eligibility and available funds. Most grant and loan programs have yearly limits which cannot be exceeded. These limits could affect a student’s funding level, even if allowable expenses are documented.

Are there Web sites you recommend for further assistance?

The following Web sites are outside sources for help: