Students may earn college credit by taking the Advanced Placement (AP) exams or International Baccalaureate (IB) exams while in high school and providing official transcripts showing satisfactory scores. Flathead Valley Community College recognizes IB achievement and awards credits for each higher-level exam passed with examination scores of four or higher. Some standard-level exams are accepted. Students may contact the Admissions and Registration Office with any further questions on which AP and IB exams are accepted.

The FVCC process for accepting either AP or IB credit is as follows:

  1. Students must be degree-seeking.
  2. Official transcripts showing scores at the ACE minimums or above will be awarded credit with an “S” (satisfactory) grade. This grade is not used for calculation of the student’s grade point average. The number of credits awarded per test is determined by the Admissions and Registration Office in partnership with faculty.
  3. There is no limit to the number of credits that may be granted and applied toward an FVCC degree although some programs may require letter grades for degree completion.
  4. Department approval may be necessary to replace specific requirements with AP and IB scores in that program.
  5. General Education courses may be satisfied with AP and IB credit. The Admissions and Registration Office makes these designations on the student’s FVCC transcript.

In order to award IB or AP credits, we need an official transcript from IB or the College Board. Students can order transcripts from the following websites:

Every college and university makes their own process on the acceptance of AP or IB credit. Students intending to transfer cannot automatically assume every school will accept these credits as FVCC does. Students should verify the intended school’s process.

Please Note:  FVCC will evaluate all AP and IB exams. If your exam is not listed contact the Director of Student Services: (406) 756-3882, and we will contact faculty for evaluation of your exams.