This program will prepare students for entry-level positions within the HVAC career field. The curriculum consists of a series of theory courses provided through distance learning and related electrical classes that provide the “hands-on” experience of applying the theory. All courses are taught to the standards of performance required for the North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certification. Graduates of the HVAC short-term certificate possess the entry-level skills required to:
- Differentiate between the use of ammeters, voltmeters, watt meters, and multi-meters in testing and trouble-shooting electrical components;
- Summarize the functional aspects of various electromechanical control systems;
- Explain the fundamentals of operations of a boiler;
- Explain the significance of heating and cooling loads;
- Interpret detailed instructions for electrical circuits; and
- Explain the concepts of a refrigerant cycle diagram and label each of the basic components.