If you enjoy helping others, consider a career as a substance abuse counselor.
FVCC’s Substance Abuse Counseling program provides students with the most up-to-date knowledge in the field of addictions and meets the academic requirement for the State of Montana’s Licensed Addiction Counselor.
- Upon successful completion of FVCC’s Substance Abuse Counseling A.A. program, graduates are prepared to apply for supervised internship positions in a state-licensed substance abuse program. A minimum of 1,000 hours of supervised work experience is required in order to take the Montana Licensed Addiction Counselor’s test.
- The annual mean wage for a substance abuse counselor working in Montana is $43,760, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- National demand for substance abuse counselors is predicted to increase 20 percent between 2016 and 2026, according to the BLS.
Attributes of Successful Substance Abuse Counselors
- Good listening and communications skills
- Compassionate and thoughtful
- Understand the importance of self-awareness in one’s personal, professional and cultural life
- Adherence to required ethical and behavioral standards of conduct