Nursing is more than a profession, it’s a calling.
Nurses are among the most versatile and hardest working healthcare professionals in the world. Good nurses are in demand in all health care settings, including clinics, hospitals and long-term care settings.
FVCC’s Associate of Science in Nursing program prepares students to transfer with junior status to Montana State University-Bozeman or Salish Kootenai College.
- This program prepares students to transfer with junior status to Montana State University-Bozeman or Salish Kooteni College in Pablo.
- Graduates of this program are eligible to take the National Council of State Board of Nursing’s Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
- Those who pass the test are granted licensure through the Montana Board of Nursing to practice as registered nurses in the state of Montana.
Attributes of Successful Nurses
- Caring, understanding and non-judgmental demeanor
- Ability to remain calm and focused under pressure
- Methodical, organized and detail-oriented
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Tenacious and hardworking
Nursing programs and core requirements are very specific for each transfer institution. Students should check carefully with their advisor and the transfer institution to make sure that appropriate courses are taken.
Admission to nursing programs at transfer institutions is very competitive, due to a high demand for a limited number of spaces. Not only is it important for students to maintain a high grade point average in their nursing prerequisite classes, it is also important for students to be aware of additional factors that may give them an extra advantage for placement. For example, at Salish Kootenai College extra preference is given to applicants based on their heritage and the number and grade point average of general education courses completed at time of application. Students should become familiar with the guidelines and dates of application for admission to the institution(s) to which they wish to apply.
FVCC offers Pre-Nursing transfer programs for students interested in completing their upper-division nursing courses at Montana State University-Bozeman or Salish-Kootenai College. For information about pre-requisite courses for these institutions, refer to the current FVCC Adademic Catalog.