If you are an artistic and tech-savvy individual, consider a career in graphic design.
FVCC’s Graphic Design Transfer Track teaches the fundamentals of process, output production, and presentation using industry-standard software and other tools. Students develop core skills in design process, drawing, photography, video editing, and web development while assembling an extensive portfolio of digital and printed work.
The program is rooted in Adobe software including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere. Students will gain experience in web design and development, as well as knowledge about writing marketing plans and contracts.
- During their time at FVCC, students build an extensive print and digital portfolio of work that can be submitted for admission into upper-level graphic design programs at transfer schools.
- Graduates are prepared to complete the bachelor’s of fine arts degree program at Montana State University-Bozeman and the bachelor’s of graphic design degree program at Montana State University-Northern.
- FVCC also offers an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree and a Certificate of Applied Studies (CAS) in graphic design.
Attributes of Successful Graphic Designers
- Customer service oriented
- Technologically savvy and enjoy learning new programs
- Able to produce quality work under tight deadlines
- Effective communication skills
- Team player
- Able to take a conceptual idea and transform it functionally and aesthetically
- Open to a using a variety of techniques to create a wide spectrum of design styles
- Desire to improve work and meet client goals
- Able to accept new ideas and constructive criticism
- Students should become familiar with the curriculum at their transfer school of choice and work with an advisor to choose courses that will support that school’s program requirements.
- Graphic design students preparing to transfer should work closely with an advisor to to customize a course of study based on their transfer goals. In addition to general education requirements, graphic design students typically take the following courses at FVCC prior to transferring:
|Course Number||Course Title||MSU-Bozeman||MSU-Northern|
|ARTH 200||Art of World Civilization I||x|
|ARTH 201||Art of World Civilization II||x|
|ARTZ 105||Visual Language-Drawing||x||x|
|ARTZ 106||Visual Language-2D Foundations||x|
|ARTZ 211||Drawing I: Life Drawing||x*|
|ARTZ 221||Painting I||x*||x**|
|ARTZ 224||Watercolor I||x**|
|ARTZ 231||Ceramics I||x*|
|ARTZ 271||General Science: Earth and Life Science||x*|
|PHOT 113||Understanding Photography||x|
|GDSN 250||Graphic Design I||x|
* This could be ARTZ 211, 221, 231, or 271
** ARTZ 221 or 224, not both