Learn all you need to know to create outstanding food and launch a thriving business.
The Culinary Arts program provides students with entry-level skills in the culinary arts industry. Students receive instruction in cooking and baking, as well as theoretical knowledge that supports competency in the field. Additional training involves table service, menu planning, cost control analysis, storeroom management and restaurant stewarding.
At The Culinary Institute of Montana, students have the advantage of working in a new, cutting-edge instructional kitchen. The 3,224-square-foot facility houses modern, innovative supplies and pieces of equipment including a Cryovac® machine used for vacuum packing full meals which can be cooked via sous-vide, an Alto-Shamm for slow cooking meats to retain flavor and moisture, a pizza oven, proof box, blast freezer, a mixer for each student’s use and liquid nitrogen for freezing ice cream. Our small class sizes allow plenty of space and time for students to work with this advanced equipment, giving them an edge in the industry.
At The Culinary Institute of Montana, students learn, practice and apply:
- Basic and advanced technical skills in food preparation and service
- Sanitation guidelines related to food handling
- Usage, storage, nutrition and identification of product
- Classic cooking terminology and methods
- Proper usage and maintenance of professional culinary equipment
- Station organization and line management
- Production, layout, and workflow of professional kitchens and bakeshops
- History, evolution and international diversity of culinary arts
- Various components of front-of-house operations, particularly those related to food and beverage service and customer relations
- Human resource management strategies to increase motivation and productivity
- Basic accounting procedures for creating a financial plan or budget, cost controls and forecasting or projecting sales
- Professionalism and management skills necessary for successfully operating within a foodservice facility