Brewery Technician, CTS
The Brewery Technician Certificate program is designed for students wishing to enter the brewing industry as a Brewery Operator in packaging, cellaring, and/or wort production. It exposes students to commercial equipment and best practices in safety and hygiene, beer production from grain to glass, mainstream beer styles and sensory evaluation, quality assurance techniques, and biology coursework. Students perform brewing lab work at the campus brewery, featuring a custom 4-barrel brewing system and pilot equipment. All coursework in the Brewery Technician CTS program is pre-requisite coursework for the Brewing Science and Brewery Operations AAS degree program. Upon successful completion of the Brewery Technician CTS, students will be able to
- Describe the overall process of beer production;
- Perform Clean In Place (CIP) operations on cellar and brewing equipment;
- Understand operating principles for basic packaging machinery;
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures for wort production and cellar operations;
- Describe yeast biology and fermentation; and
- Work safely and hygienically in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
First Semester Total: 15
Second Semester Total: 14
Total Credits: 29
- A grade of "C" or better in all courses is required for graduation eligibility.
Admission Guidelines and Application Deadline
- Due to limited classroom and lab availability, this degree requires an admissions process. Application deadline is August 1.
- Students must be 21 years of age to start the program.
- Program costs in addition to tuition, booksand lab fees, are estimated at $1,000. Scholarships are available.
Opportunities after graduation
- This degree prepares students for entry-level brewing industry positions.
- This degree serves as a pre-requisite for the AAS Brewing Science and Brewery Operations program at FVCC.
For more information about this program, contact the FVCC Student Support Center or the Program Advisor.
|Student Support Center Advisor||Program Advisor|
|Russ Lamson||Joe Byers|
|LRC 129||RH 118|
|(406) 756-3885||(406) 756-4359|