- This event has passed.
Biotech Bootcamp for Teachers
October 8 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Are you a secondary educator interested in learning about innovations in biotechnology? Do you want to learn more about immunology and proteins or perform ELISA’s and protein measurements in your classroom?
Learn everything you need to implement new lab activities in your classroom. This 1-day workshop will give you experience in biotechnology methods, including measuring
immune responses with the ELISA assay and working with proteins. Earn District 5 PIR credit or OPI Renewal Units for attending the workshop. This workshop is hosted by FVCC and is funded by the Bio-Rad Explorers Community.
Who should attend?
Secondary educators, especially life and health science teachers.
What is the cost?
No charge to attend this non-credit workshop. A small fee is charged for educators wanting OPI renewal unit credit.
What will we do?
Morning – Overview of Immunology, including a COVID-19 Update
- Lab activity: Using the Bio-Rad ELISA kit in a simulated test for antibodies
- Lab activity: Be a disease detective in a “Zombie Attack” outbreak
Afternoon – Proteins – They’re not just in your milk!
- Using the Bio-Rad Protein Kit to measure protein
- Lab activity: Which energy drink has the most protein?
Who are the presenters?
- Dr. Ruth Wrightsman – Bio-Rad Explorer Fellow and former FVCC professor of biology and
- Dr. Jerry Manning – Bio-Rad Explorer Fellow and Professor Emeritus from the University of
California – Irvine.
For further information contact Ruth Wrightsman at email@example.com or 406-270-6588
To register, call or visit https://www.fvcc.edu/what-we-offer/continuing-education
This workshop is sponsored by the Bio-Rad Corp.