What is an Associate Degree?

The Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degrees are general transfer degrees, allowing students to accumulate credits that will transfer to other institutions. With an AA or AS from FVCC, a student can typically transfer to any Montana University System school with junior class status and be guaranteed that the lower division general education core requirements have been completed for the transfer school.  The same typically holds true for colleges and universities outside of Montana.   Students should work with FVCC transfer advisor to ensure the maximum number of credits will be accepted.  AA and AS degrees do not officially include a major or minor course of study, though students can still choose an emphasis for their studies.

The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) is an occupational degree designed to prepare students for a specific professional career in one to two years.

For a full list of FVCC’s academic programs, please visit the academic program matrix.

For more information on transferring to four-year schools, please contact FVCC’s transfer advisor.

Report a problem with this page
Last modified: September 16, 2015