Frequently Asked Questions

Will all my credits transfer?

associate degree, transferring of credits should not be a problem except in rare circumstances as most institutions will accept all college level courses; however some schools may have a maximum they will accept and some courses may only be counted as electives. Students must also check if the transfer institution has a minimum grade requirement for general education courses or ones in their major. When a student transfers without an associate degree, courses are evaluated on a course by course basis which can be subject to the department’s discretion. Although many transfer policies and agreements exist, the granting of credits is determined by the receiving institution.

How can I be prepared to challenge if a course is not accepted?

While at FVCC, you should create a file to keep academic records such as course syllabi, course descriptions, and special projects that you do so that you can use that as evidence that you have met the competencies for any denied transfer course.

How many of my credits will transfer?

Some colleges have a maximum number of credits that will be accepted for transfer and most have a minimum number of credits that must be taken at the 4-year school. When a student transfers with credits beyond the associate degree requirement, he/she may end up earning far more credits than required for the baccalaureate degree. However other than the cost, is extra learning a bad thing?

Is it more difficult to transfer to an out of state school?

Yes. As a student transferring out of state, it is your responsibility to research that school’s requirements and work closely with the transfer advisors at both colleges. Policies for transferring within the Montana University System are consistent and are established by the Commissioner of Higher Education.

Report a problem with this page
Last modified: January 31, 2014