Campus Safety

Flathead Valley Community College works diligently to provide safe learning environments for our students on both of our campuses.

We have a solid record of minimal crime incidents on campus.  To obtain a copy of the annual crime report for either FVCC campus, please contact the Dean of Students at (406) 756-3812 or or click the appropriate links in the Reports section.

Flathead Valley Community College has a 15-member Safety Committee that meets regularly to identify and address campus safety and security issues.   If you have a concern you would like to address, please contact Safety Committee Chair Kris Long by calling (406) 756-3901 or email

Campus Safety is a Team Effort

Campus safety at Flathead Valley Community College is a team effort among the administration, faculty, staff and students.  Safety is a very important part of the educational experience.

As part of our safety team, we everyone to report all crimes and suspicious activity. We need your help! Your observations and assistance makes the difference. Information from you helps us maintain and improve campus safety.

To report an emergency or life-threatening incident, please call 911 followed by (406) 270-4555.

To report a non-life-threatening crime or campus incident, please complete and return the campus incident report within 24 hours to the Emergency Coordinator, Kris Long, in BC 126-D.

FVCC Behavioral Intervention Team

FVCC BIT is a Behavioral Intervention Team. The team reviews reports that are received about student behavior and determines the best course of action to support the student and intervene before the behavior escalates. If you sense something that does not seem right, the team asks that you say something to the FVCC BIT coordinator at 406.756.3812 or do something by submitting a FVCC Bit Referral Form. Every member of the community helps to keep our campus healthy and safe.

Building Liaisons

Each building on campus has someone identified as the Title IX Liaison – a person who is available to support and refer students, staff, and/or faculty who are concerned about or want to report on incident of sexual harassment or assault.  The liaison’s role is to serve as a safe resource who can assist people in the process of filing a formal report. See Building Liaisons.

Emergency Notification System

FVCC has a state-of the-art emergency notification system powered by e2Campus.  This system enables college officials to send instant alerts about campus emergencies directly to members of the FVCC campus community.

This service is available to FVCC students, faculty, and staff.  Registered users will receive alerts to their mobile phone via voice or SMS text message, and to their personal email account, home phone and/or office phone.  There is no fee to use this service; however, depending on your personal cell phone plan, there may be a charge from your carrier to receive text messages.  FVCC is not responsible for these fees

Registering for this service is simple and quick.  To access e2Campus, login to your FVCC portal (students log in to the student portal, faculty log in to the faculty portal, and staff log in to the staff portal).  Click on the “e2Campus Sign-In” link under “e2Campus Alerts,” and follow the prompts to complete your registration.

If you need assistance registering to receive emergency alerts, we have created a tutorial to help you register for e2Campus.

Campus Security Authorities (CSAs)

Under the Clery Act, Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) are required to report Clery Act qualifying crimes which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the College. CSAs should only report those crimes that have not been previously reported to the Campus Emergency Coordinator or another CSA.

What makes you a CSA?

There are four categories of CSAs:
• Campus Police
• Individuals responsible for security (e.g. student housing assistant, security staff at
• student functions)
• Individuals or offices designated to receive crime reports
• Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.
A person’s function determines if they are considered a CSA. CSA functional areas include administrators of students, faculty advisors, director of athletics/coaches, faculty or staff advisors to a student organization, and the Title IX coordinator.

Who are not CSAs?
The following individual are not CSAs:
• Faculty without responsibility for students or campus activities outside the classroom;
• Support staff such as administrative and clerical staff, maintenance staff, and food service workers;
• Medical staff at the Student Health Clinic and the FVCC counselor
As a CSA, what do I tell a reporting party?
The following is a sample of what you can tell a reporting party who comes to you to report a crime:


“As part of my position on campus I am a federally mandated crime reporter for the College. I am required to report of this incident to the Campus Emergency Coordinator for data gathering. If you request confidentiality, the report form will not include your name, or that of any other involved individuals. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to help me fill out the form?”


If the CSA has firsthand knowledge and confirmation that the reporting party filed a report with the Campus Emergency Coordinator, then they are not obligated to complete and submit a CSA Reporting Form. However, if the reporting party says they will file a report with the Campus Emergency Coordinator, but leaves the CSA with no firsthand knowledge and confirmation that a police report was filed, then the CSA must still complete and submit a CSA Reporting Form.


CSAs are encouraged to report all crimes reported to them, on a timely basis, to the Campus Emergency Coordinator. However, under the Clery Act, only Clery Act qualifying crimes are required to be reported.


If the reported crime is made in good faith, meaning that there is reasonable basis for believing that the information is not rumor or hearsay, then the crime is Clery reportable. CSAs, when interacting with the crime reporting party, need to gather incident information that would provide sufficient detail to properly classify the incident. This means CSAs needs to document reporting party responses or lack thereof. CSAs should not investigate the crime or attempt to determine whether a crime, in fact, took place. When in doubt, a CSA Reporting Form should be completed and submitted.


What happens after a CSA Report is filed?
The Campus Emergency Coordinator reviews CSA reports and determines whether the incident is a reportable crime in the Annual Security Report (ASR). These reports are also evaluated for timely warning and/or emergency notification consideration.


Crime / Emergency and Non-Emergency Reporting
Regardless of your status (CSA or non-CSA), all community members are encouraged to promptly report all criminal incidents and other public safety related emergencies. For incidents requiring immediate attention, call 911 followed by 406.270.4555. Non-emergency incidents can be reported by calling the Campus Emergency Coordinator at 406.756.3901 or stopping by BC 126-D.

Report a problem with this page
Last modified: October 1, 2015