Step 4: Placement Test
Contact our Learning Center at (406) 756-3880 or come to the Learning Resource Center Building, room 129, to arrange a time to complete your placement test.
- Transfer students with official transcripts on file showing the completion of college-level English and math classes are not required to complete the placement test.
- Degree-seeking students are required to take the placement test.
- Non-degree students who wish to enroll in English and/or math classes are required to take the placement test.
- There is no charge to take the placement test.
- Placement Test results may be critical in determining the length of time required to complete your educational program. See below for more information about Placement Tests.
- For placement testing at the Lincoln County Campus, contact the Student Services Coordinator at (406) 293-2721
For more information, contact the Learning Center at (406) 756-3880.
FVCC uses the Computer Adaptive Placement Assesment and Support System (COMPASS) test provided by ACT, Inc. This test measures prospective students’ current abilities in Reading, Writing, and Math. Placement into developmental or college level Courses in these three areas will be determined by the test scores.
- Developmental courses such as WRIT 080, ID 31, M 061 or similar course numbered below the 100 level do not provide college credit, but are offered to help students learn skills necessary to be successful in college level courses.
- Prospective students who have not taken classes recently would be well advised to do some review prior to taking the COMPASS test.
- FVCC offers some on site opportunities for review prior to taking the test. Information about the offerings is available at the Learning Resource Center, LRC 129. (756-3880)
- There are several websites that provide free practice tests and some solutions. An example is http://www.compass-test-practice.com