Health Care Office Management
The duties of the health care office manager can vary greatly depending on the type, size and structure of the medical practice. The health care office manager must be knowledgeable in all aspects of medical office operations including billing, coding, collections, appointment scheduling and medical records maintenance. A successful office manager is efficient, organized, resourceful and possesses strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to make good decisions. Upon completion of this program, students will:
Understand medical terminology;
- Possess knowledge of the human anatomy;
- Use interpersonal skills necessary to connect with co-workers and customers;
- Understand all aspects of a medical office including coding, scheduling, billing and EHR;
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Also recommended: Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) Certification (Word, Excel).
- An internship is an option for this program. See page 40 for more information and application deadlines.
- There are lab fees associated with some of the classes in this program. They are listed in the semester schedule.
- Some classes may only be offered online. All online courses are assessed a distance delivery fee.
Opportunities After Graduation
- The Montana Department of Labor and Industry projected that employment in the medical office professions would grow by 16.9% from 2008-2018. This is much higher than the 11% growth rate projected for all occupations. The aging of the population will continue to drive employment increases in all occupations related to health care.
For general information, contact the Admissions office: (406) 756-3847.