FVCC Theatre Dance Class to Present Free Dance Showcase

Students in Flathead Valley Community College’s theatre dance class will perform a free dance showcase for the community May 10 and 11.  Instructed for the first time by Katie Nixon, the theatre dance class teaches students about dance and choreography.

Born and raised in Denver, Colo., Nixon is a classically trained ballet dancer who received her training from the Colorado Ballet.  She danced professionally with The Canyon Concert Ballet before moving to Montana in 2001.  Nixon has taught every level of classical ballet and now focuses primarily on teaching adults classes.  She also is an actress and choreographer for the Whitefish Theatre Company.

Nixon said one of her favorite aspects of the class has been watching the students come up with their own choreography ideas.

“We went into this process not knowing exactly which direction the class would go, and we have ended up with a great opportunity for the students to showcase something they have never done before,” she said.

Previous dance and theatre experience are not required to enroll in the course, so for many students like Hannah Smith, the showcase offers a unique new opportunity to perform on stage.

“It’s been really new and hard, but it’s been a fun challenge,” said Smith.  “Coming up with a story and dance is new to me, but I’m excited for the performance.  I just love the dancing.”

Nixon says she is eager to see the student’s hard work come to fruition.

“I am amazed and frankly humbled by the creativity of this creation,” she said.  “My hope is that the students see the joy and creativity in themselves that I have seen in each of them.”

Performances will take place at 7 p.m. in the FVCC Theatre inside the Arts and Technology Building on the college campus.  Seats will fill on a first-come, first-served basis.  For more information, contact Nixon at 250-4600.

This entry was posted in News and Events. Bookmark the permalink.